1.25.2006

Nice Weather We're Having

Can you believe people are still saying there's no such thing as global warming?

Nevermind that there's snow in Hawaii, rain is finally coming to Arizona after a record dry streak (snow in Flagstaff), my mom reports that Chicago has been bizarrely warm, and here in New Jersey we're having such a warm winter that the bulbs are coming up and the buds on some of the spring shrubs are starting to pop. In January. This winter has been more like the Pacific Northwest than the Mid-Atlantic Northeast.

And of course, all those hurricaines.

And that's only in America. The rest of the world is seeing fluke weather, too. Overall, 2005 was the warmest year in 10,000 years.

But what do I know? Of course global warming is bullshit - just ask any oil company exec.

I guess what bothers me most is that there are people who are really enjoying this winter. When I bring up the fact that we need a long, hard freeze to kill off mosquito larvae, or that it seems likely that the backlash of this will be a sweltering summer, people just look at me funny and go, "huh, I never thought of that". How on earth did we get so divorced from nature?

And what, dare I ask, is it going to take to reunite us?

1 Comments:

At 9:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well sufficient discomfort will prompt a desire for change. People won't accept "global warming:" but they'll eventually start thinking "God its hot!"

As far as having a connection to nature, most people think that's superstitious nonsense practiced only by "ignorant savages".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home