5.11.2004

The Buzz Around The Office, or Hive Mentality, or...

We have bees. Not like two, like hundreds. They are flying around the rafters and the light fixtures, which are flourescent stick bulbs suspended from the ceiling and covered with a yellow mesh. Vaguely retro in character. But evidently the warmth and the light of the flourescent bulbs, the mesh (which is like ready-made honeycomb), and the proximity to the roof soffits were just too much temptation for the little guys to take. There is a soft, organic-sounding buzzing noise just barely audible above the roar of the HVAC system. Everyone here is thoroughly creeped out.

Except me. I think it's awesome. Nature inside!! I'd let them live here full time and drip honey on my desk if they wanted to. Of course, I'd roll my entire cubicle outside and work under a tree if I could, too.

According to Animal Speak, Bees are about cooperation and community. They are very gentle and only sting if attacked and unable to escape. Bees understand that for one to prosper, all must prosper, so they work for the common good. In other words, bees are not capitalists...

Bees also do cool things like pollenate flowers. When they find a particulary sweet batch, they will go back to the hive and do a special dance to tell the other bees where the goodies are. Communicating through dancing! How lovely!

They're going to come soon and exterminate. I feel sad for them (and for me, having to breathe the chemicals they spray!). I was kind of looking forward to watching them build up their little community. I know they can't live here, though. My friend Susie has good wisdom on this: "when they're outside, they're God's creatures; in here, they're pests!" Oh well, it was nice while it lasted. I'm glad they showed up & gave me a reason to learn about them.

1 Comments:

At 4:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jasmine here...that was just lovely. I imagined the little bee dance in particular...ah, and honey dripping on one's desk...bzzz...bzzz...bzzzz....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home